Friday, October 10, 2008

Radio Formats

One interesting thing about radio is the different formats that are out there. Country, Rock, Oldies, News/talk, Spanish, Sportstalk, Punk Gospel, yadda yadda yadda...

The station I'm working for now, Oldies 101.9, considers an 'oldie' to be from the 60's and 70's.

I applied for a job at a cluster of stations a few weeks ago, the format of the AM station is 'music of your life'. Believe it or not, one of my first radio jobs was working at a station that had that format. I played music from Frank Sinatra, Count Basie, Glenn Miller, Tommy Dorsey, Tony Bennett, etc...

The 'music of your life' format nowadays forgoes most of that music and plays stuff from Michael Buble, The Platters, The Carpenters, Pat Boone, Nat King Cole, Johnny Mathis, and so on....

It's interesting to me that music past a certain date becomes irrelevant, even though it's still great stuff.

I'm a fan of Big Band music, and am sad to not hear a lot of it on the radio anymore. If I ever get on a morning/afternoon drive radio show again, I would love to be able to highlight some of this stuff. Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's not good.

No comments: